Sunday, February 15, 2009

Besides Saving Money, I Love Being Green! 5 Tips

With the Eco-Movement upon us, I have been trying to be more Green, while saving money... And there really quite a few options!

1. ReUsable Totes! There are a lot of stores now, that will give a $.05 or $.10 discount on your order for each Bag that you Re-Use! My local grocery store, gives me $.05 for each. And, some stores will give you a Percentage off your order, if you purchase their Reusable tote. There is a local Produce Market Store, I loved the Retro design of their tote (which cost $10!) but I recieve 10% off each and every purchase, if I bring my tote in... So, that was well worth it!

2. Reuse containers! There's no need to buy Plastic Storage containers, when most products already come in them... I reuse Cool Whip tubs and more! Additionally, these are great for giving left-overs to people, and you don't need to worry about getting them back!

3. Don't Drive! Walk or Ride a Bike... I know sometimes this is not an option. At least you can reduce your driving, by combining trips. I plan a route, every time I leave my house - Blockbuster, Gas Station, Bank, Grocery Store, etc... Also, if some stores are close to each other, I will walk to each by parking in a central location - rather than fighting to find a close parking spot in from of each!

4. Grow your own! I know this is difficult in the Winter and not everyone has the space. But, there are some things you can easily grown by a Sunny Window. I always have fresh Parsley, Oregano, Basil and Chives! Also, there is no need to buy expensive fertilizers or sprays - you can make your own - with Compost from your kitchen scraps (this is a whole different discussion - for another day! I could go on forever!)

5. Buy in bulk! Depending on the product, you can usually save some $$ by buying in bulk. No need to buy individually packaged products, when you can buy a bulk bag for even less! One example - I love Craisins - So, I buy them in bulk! No need for tiny individually packaged portions... They waste money and the environment, with all of that extra packaging! Also, see if you grocery store has a Bulk Products section (where you scoop from a bin), you can usually get Grains, Nuts, teas, Coffee and more at a great discount.

No comments: